Sunday 4 May 2008

WH40K - Stormhammer Painted







Here's the paintjob on the Stormhammer.

Short version:
- undercoat of Citadel Black
- heavy drybrush on the tracks of Citadel Boltgun Metal
- base coat of Tamiya tan spray on the tank
- went around the cracks and crevices with a tan coloured felt tip pen
- plenty of dry brushing with Citadel Bleached Bone
- gun barrels and engines in Citadel Boltgun Metal
- a few transfers
- masked off an arrow head shape and dabbed in Citadel Skull white
- went round the arrow shape in dark grey felt tip pen (less successful)
- sponged on some Citadel Tinbitz, Boltgun Metal and other odd colours for that chipped look
- a very light spray of Tamiya tan colour for some 'dust'
- spray of Citadel varnish to keep the transfers on
Overall it still looks a bit sloppy but I think it's good enough for table play. Won't win any Golden Demons, but I have a lot more models to finish and I will stop here on this one.

Small versions of pics for link to Work In Progress and Librarium Online forums.






4 comments:

  1. Good effort chief, but you design's off a wee bit. The original epic model had two double-cannon turrets, not a fixed body mount with smoothbores.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Quite right - but building the two turret version was a bit beyond my abilities (and patience!) So I compromised on the lower guns. I am still happy with the result and I reckon it looks like a duck, blows up Eldar like a duck, etc.
    There are other mistakes you can spot - where does all the ammunition fit? If the guns fire, doesn't the commander get squished by the recoil? To those criticisms I reply... um what's that over there?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually have to say I like your stormhammer conversion the best out of all the ones I have seen. None of the 40k tanks are in any way shape or form real, I work with real tanks and the tank turret would have to be at least the size of the hull to accommodate all the main gun breach and recoil systems. Great looking tank and I love the paint job. Did you use 2 or 3 baneblades kits in total?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks very much! I used two whole Baneblade kits, and I went to www.thewarstore.com for the bits. Specifically, two more turrets and some more fuel tanks. I ended up using only two long gun barrels, and the other two went on my Leman Russ tanks. I used the Leman Russ guns on the hull of the Stormhammer. The hull of the other Baneblade became the 'Bull Grox' engineer vehicle, with a toy crane, and WALL-E's arms, amongst other things.

    ReplyDelete