Monday 25 June 2012

WH40K - Ork Flying Gun Thing

You don't have to buy an entire GW model kit to get the good bits. There are lots of bits sellers on the net, who will sell you separate parts from those kits. Obviously interesting parts like weapons and wheels sell more quickly (and are more expensive) because people who build conversions and dioramas want more of those bits. Random pieces of vehicle hull might languish on a retailer's shelf and be a bit cheaper. That's good if you want to build some WH40K terrain to represent a 'burned out' vehicle hull.

I had a few bits left over from the Ork Bommer kit, and a "Super Gatler" from the Ork Stompa, bought from a Bits seller for inclusion in some conversion or other. (Possibly the as-yet-unbuilt STOMP-E which remains in pieces in the bits box.) I also had a couple of Tau Devilfish engines, from the kit which eventually became my first Ork Fighta.
All this has been combined with a Tau Piranha model to produce an Ork Flying Gun Thing. I'll come up with a name for it, or take any suggestions...

(As I was building it I realised I could avoid using all the wings, engines and weapons from the Piranha. These in turn could be added to a Battlesuit to make a super-flying Battlesuit! It's the Mekboy DNA in me, I swear...)

The brass bits are from a packet of brass... bits... which I bought at a hobby store. I can think of lots of uses for those. 
Although in real life this model is completely glued together, in the game I like to think that the engines swivel for a very crude VTOL effect. The 'feet' underneath it become landing gear, of a sort. More skilled modellers than I could actually make that work. Check out Work In Progress for some amazing conversions.

The 'face' on the nose is made from a Warhammer Fantasy Black Orc shield, and the 'anchor' part of the dragging chain mechanism from the original Dakkajet.
VRROOOMMMMM! FREEAAAAOOOOWWWWWMMMMM!
Dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka!

3 comments:

  1. hey this is a nice model i really like your work :) any chance i could get in contact with you about some of the models you've converted i would really like to make some but am not sure were to get the bits like on the stormhammer you made (pure awesome) and your ork fighter. i couldn't find a contact email. but here's mine if you feel like talking :) stormypatrick@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too bad da blue wunz go slowa :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oi! Guzzla! Slap sum red paint on da zoomy one, will yer! Or I'll mash yer wiv me Spanna!

    ReplyDelete